CLAYTON—Rabun County’s current state representative, Matt Gurtler, has announced plans to run for the U.S. 9th District Congressional seat being vacated by Doug Collins.
Gurtler joins two other Republican lawmakers who are seeking the congressional seat, State Sen. John Wilkinson of Toccoa and State Rep. Kevin Tanner of Dawsonville.
Gurtler, who has represented Rabun, Towns, Union and White counties since 2017, will be stepping down as House District 8 representative at the end of the year regardless of the outcome of his congressional bid.
His conservative approach to fiscal matters and Constitutional issues has caught the eye of some national Republican leaders.
To read the full story, click here. (Subscription required)
Headlines in The Clayton Tribune
- Residents speak on proposed land sale
- Gurtler to run for congress, give up state seat
- Ordinance okays short-term rentals in Clayton
- City approves alcohol permits for events
- Mardi Gras event returns this weekend
- Forward Rabun receives $25,000 donation from ELK
- County thwarts apparent computer hacking attempt
- Sky Valley discusses road repairs, new police cars
- Police, residents discuss safety at Sky Valley Town Watch forum
- Barker to head Rabun County Baptist Association
- Cirque Arqadia comes to Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School